Can't build QxOrm with boost 1.49

Forum for posting problems using QxOrm library

Can't build QxOrm with boost 1.49

Postby Davita » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi

I just downloaded QxOrm to try out for my next project. Even I couldn't build it yet, I found it really impressive from the docs. Big thanks to the authors from me :)

Now my problem. I'm trying to build QxOrm on windows with Qt 4.8 and VS 2010 compiler. I followed the instructions, I downloaded latest version (1.49) boost, built it statically, specified lib and include pathes in QxOrm.pri but when I try to build it, I get linker errors, "unresolved external symbol bla bla bla boost::bla_bla_bla". I suspect that current version of QxOrm is not compatible with boost 1.49, so maybe anyone can point me which version of boost should I downgrade to?

Thank you very much :)
Davita

Re: Can't build QxOrm with boost 1.49

Postby QxOrm admin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 am

Hi,

I found it really impressive from the docs. Big thanks to the authors from me

Thanx very much ;)

I downloaded latest version (1.49) boost, built it statically..... I get linker errors

The best way to use QxOrm library is to build Qt and boost serialization dynamically.
I never tried boost 1.49 but I think it will work fine if you build boost serialization dynamically...

If you really want to keep boost serialization built statically, you can try a BETA version of the next version :
http://www.qxorm.com/version/QxOrm_1.2.3_BETA_11.zip
With this version, there is an option into QxOrm.pri to build QxOrm library statically.
But I recommend to build all dynamically : Qt, boost and QxOrm...
QxOrm admin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 am

I see, I will try it in several hours and post results here.

Postby Davita » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Here's the results I promised.

I couldn't manage to build QxOrm neither with dynamically nor with statically linked BOOST library (version 1.49).
I couldn't manage to build QxOrm with BOOST version 1.39 (same config)
I managed to build QxOrm with dynamically linked BOOST 1.38. phew :D
At least I did it.

Davita

Postby QxOrm Admin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm

It's really strange : I tried many versions from boost 1.38 to 1.48 and I never had any problem to build QxOrm library !
Tomorrow I will try using last version of boost (1.49 like you). But I'm pretty sure it will work without problem.
I think you have another problem with your development environment...
QxOrm Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Possible, but can't guess what it could be. Anyway thank you again for your wonderful work :)
and if you manage to try building it, let us know the results please :)

Postby QxOrm admin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am

I have just tested boost 1.49 with QxOrm library : it works without problem for me !
Here is my configuration :
- MSVC2010 ;
- Qt 4.8 (built dynamically) ;
- boost 1.49 (built dynamically).

So you have a problem with your development environment ;)

Here is my boost 1.49 package : http://www.qxorm.com/lib/boost_1_49.zip
You can download it and try with this boost package (if you have MSVC2010, define into QxOrm.pri file boost_serialization-vc100-mt-gd-1_49.dll for debug mode and boost_serialization-vc100-mt-1_49.dll for release mode).
QxOrm admin

Postby Davita » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you very much :) I will try this when I get home. :)
Davita

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm

IT WORKED!!! I don't know how and why but I built QxOrm with your binaries without any problem. Could you tell me what's the trick? :D
I mean, I used bjam.exe which comes with boost source to build boost. Could you tell us how you built those binaries?

Thanks again :)

Postby QxOrm admin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

IT WORKED!!!

Cool ;)

Could you tell me what's the trick? :D
I mean, I used bjam.exe which comes with boost source to build boost. Could you tell us how you built those binaries?

In my boost package, there is all commands I used to build boost serialization (see version_1_49.txt file) :
Code: Select all
-----------------------------------------
COMMAND LINE TO BUILD USING MSVC++ 2008 :
bjam.exe --build-dir=build --toolset=msvc-9.0 --with-serialization variant=debug,release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared stage
bjam.exe --build-dir=build --toolset=msvc-9.0 --with-serialization variant=debug,release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared install

COMMAND LINE TO BUILD USING MSVC++ 2010 :
bjam.exe --build-dir=build --toolset=msvc-10.0 --with-serialization variant=debug,release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared stage
bjam.exe --build-dir=build --toolset=msvc-10.0 --with-serialization variant=debug,release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared install

---------------------------------------------
COMMAND LINE TO BUILD USING MINGW GCC 4.5.1 :
---------------------------------------------
bjam.exe --build-dir=build --toolset=gcc --with-serialization variant=debug,release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared stage
bjam.exe --build-dir=build --toolset=gcc --with-serialization variant=debug,release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared install

Now, you should test all examples into './test/' directory of QxOrm package.
If you can build all examples and execute them without problem, then you can start your own project...
QxOrm admin

Next

Return to QxOrm - Help